Monday, December 3, 2007

Brenda’s French Soul Food (San Francisco)

I know, I know. The blog is called Breakfast in ‘Vancouver’, but I just have to write about the breakfast places I went to in SF because they were great!

This intimate spot (read: small but charming) is located just on the edge of a part of SF known as The Tenderloin. Let’s say that it is the equivalent of Vancouver’s downtown East Side. Colourful characters abound!

I LOVE the menu at Brenda’s, it’s so unique! The *must-have* is the Beignets (New Orleans style doughnuts). There are four kinds - Plain, Chocolate, Granny Smith Apple and Crawfish - yep, crawfish. Thankfully, they serve a sampler plate of all four because missing out on any one kind would have been devastating! They were one of my favourite food memories of SF, by far! Foodgasmic.

We also had the Hangtown Fry (scrambled eggs with bacon and oysters) and the Shrimp and Goat Cheese Omelette. There is a choice of hash or grits and toast or biscuit. Of course, we had them all. Fantastic all around, but the grits and biscuit were outstanding. Oh, I wish for everyone to have Breakfast in San Francisco at Brenda’s!

652 Polk Street, San Francisco, CA
Breakfast hours: Wed-Mon, 8:00 a.m. to 3 p.m.

www.frenchsoulfood.com

No comments: