Friday, June 13, 2008

rebar modern food (Victoria)

The restaurant rebar is what I refer to as the “mother ship”. While I am not so familiar with the actual restaurant, I am intimately familiar with the restaurant’s cookbook. It’s how I learned to cook – not technically, but sensorially. I have enjoyed many a spectacular meal prepared from this book. So when in Victoria, of course, I must pay homage.

The ambience has a familial feel. This was accentuated by the self-described “old bachelor who doesn’t cook” at the next table who frequents the restaurant daily! He said he feels well taken care of by the staff.

This morning we enjoyed a beverage from their fresh juice bar which offers an extensive list of vegetable and fruit juices, smoothies and wheatgrass concoctions. We chose the Emma Peel (orange, pineapple) and the Cootie Bug (strawberry, orange, pineapple). As for the vittles, my dining partner chose a simple breakfast of scrambled eggs, home fries and toast. I chose the Migas – eggs scrambled with monterey jack cheese, corn tortillas, red pepper, cilantro, topped with salsa verde. Both dishes came with homemade jam and fresh salsa.

50 Bastion Square, Victoria
Breakfast hours:
Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Saturday/Sunday Brunch: 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

www.rebarmodernfood.com
Photos

No comments: