Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sciué Italian Bakery Caffé (Yaletown)

Sciué (pronounced shoo-ee) is new to the Yaletown neighbourhood and I say “welcome!”. The vibe is upscale casual – a paradox, I realize, but that’s how I feel it. The menu proclaims to be Roman Street Food – I have no idea about that, but I do know I enjoyed what it is. Order at the counter, take your number back to your table, and your food will be delivered.

As usual, I couldn’t decide between the sweet or savoury options. My solution – have both! Smart, si? I couldn’t help but order the Pane Farcito, as they temptingly display them on the counter right in your face. You deny the call of a giant sugar-crusted, nutella-filled donut, I challenge you. Loved it! If I drank coffee, it would have been a perfect combination. Instead, I accompanied my donut with the Uova in Camicia al Cotto, Italian for “Eggs Benny with Ham”. The Italian twist is the addition of a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil on the bun, which surprised me at first, but once I embraced the floral tones of the olive oil, it all came together.

My camera ran out of batteries half way through breakfast. Guess I'll have to go back there again and eat more donuts. Aw, shucks!

126 Davie Street
Breakfast hours: Monday to Friday: 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Brunch hours: Saturday, Sunday and Holidays: 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

www.sciue.ca
Photos

No comments: