Thursday, June 11, 2009

Brent’s Restaurant & Deli (Kailua, HI) (CLOSED)

UPDATE (05/10/11): On my return to Oahu, I discovered that Brent's closed over a year ago. Too bad.
--------------------------
My closest and long-time friend (and frequent breakfast accomplice) up and moved to Hawaii a few months ago. Being the snoop that I am, I just had to go visit her to make sure her new location was acceptable - ha! We weren’t even off the plane 12 hours before we were off for our first “Breakfast in Hawaii”. She now lives in Kaneohe on the windward side of Oahu, and a 10 minute drive down the road is the town of Kailua – home to several breakfast spots and what I am proclaiming to be one of the best beaches in. the. world. No exaggeration.

Brent’s is a Jewish-style deli, as close as you’re going to get to authentic on these islands, and they do a fine job. We savoured the Cheese Blintzes, Corned Beef Hash and House-made Pickles. And threw in a big dash of the islands with the Macademia Coconut Pancakes. What makes these pancakes truly outstanding is the Mac Nut Sauce, and it lives up to its moniker of “Crack” Nut Sauce. I didn’t ask what it’s made of, cause sometimes I think ignorance is bliss – and yummy.

If you visit Kailua Beach and also taste the mac/nut sauce, you will have hit two of Hawaii’s many spectacular highlights. Do it.

629A Kailua Road, Kailua, HI
Breakfast hours: Tuesdays to Fridays: 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Saturdays/Sundays: 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Website
Photos

1 comment:

Marla said...

Aaah, Brent's.
I am glad I 'discovered' this place before your visit, so I could bring you and enjoy it all over again!
That macadamia-coconut sauce is so yummy I'm wiggling in my chair in anticipation of my next visit. FYI "crack sauce" is not to be confused with a local favourite snack "crack seed", which is a salty/sweet dried plum.
And seriously, take it from a closet corned-beef hash lover, Brent's has one of (if not THE) best hashes I've ever tried.
And the pickles are free. Love it!
Thanks for giving me an excuse to visit them again!
Much Aloha.
M