Saturday, December 12, 2009

The New Bohemian (CLOSED)

UPDATE (12/18/11): New ownership, no longer serving brunch.
----------------
I had an eye-opening visit to The New Bohemian. I had assumed that this relatively new restaurant was targeted at the local UBC crowd as an evening hot spot focused on music, cocktails and accompanying pub-style food, thus it didn’t hit high on my list of breakfast destinations. Well, once again, I was pleasantly shaken out of my preconceived notions.

First, the space translates very well to the day, it is warm and inviting. Second, our server was amazing - full of personality and warmth - she made the whole experience. And third, I enjoyed the food, which is self-described as "Kitsilano comfort-food", I think an accurate description.

Serving large portions, there are some variations on the usual bennys and omelettes, plus a couple of odd items such as my Eggel Bagel. On a perfectly toasted bagel were caramelized onions and red peppers, topped with eggs scrambled with cheese, and then topped with Capicola ham. But the absolute highlight were the side of potatoes - wedged shaped potatoes deep-fried into crunchy goodness topped with fresh rosemary - yum!

3162 West Broadway
Breakfast hours: Saturday/Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
www.thenewbohemian.ca
No Photos :(

1 comment:

Luc said...

I had dinner last New Year's Evening at this restaurant with my girlfriend and another couple and I enjoyed a warm atmosphere, the entertaining server who brought us an extra dessert on the house, and even the attention of the manager, whom we didn't know, to check on things. We came early and didn't stay for the band, but the price seemed reasonable.