Saturday, February 27, 2010

Five Corners Café (White Rock)

After an Olympic-sized hiatus from breakfasting, this weekend marked my return to the sport. Having family in town for the Games led us out to White Rock to visit family friends. What I didn’t know was that White Rock is a hot-bed of breakfast activity. And Five Corners Café is a long-standing gem, a real old-school diner, so old that it’s still cash only. It was a busy spot with one woman running the show. She did admirably as turnover happened fast and no real lines were formed. We unofficially awarded her a medal for her performance.

On the menu, breakfast just the way I like it – old-fashioned, straight-up – pancakes, omelettes, scrambles, bacon and eggs, and hashes. And I liked that I got to choose whether I wanted hash browns (shredded) or pan fries (chunky) as my potatoes.

This is as authentic a breakfast diner as you’ll find anywhere. I was told of several other podium contenders in the neighbourhood. I guess this journey will continue...

1173 Johnston Road, White Rock
Breakfast hours:
Mon to Fri: 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Sat / Sun: 8:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Facebook Page
Photos

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great place to cap off the Olympics. Delicious!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Five corners cafe is great. I've introduced all my friends to it. The environment feels as though you're not in Vancouver anymore... And the waffles are absolutely amazing!

In Search of Breakfast said...

Hi Anonymous, thanks for stopping by and leaving your lovely comment. Happy breakfasting!