Sunday, May 30, 2010

Acme Café

It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day. I have a sense of my age when I find myself walking around this part of town and I am feeling good. It’s not just me, but families with young babes in strollers are walking around, too. And we are walking to the Acme Café, recently opened, just two blocks from the infamous corner of Main and Hastings. Years ago this would have been outside the realm of ordinary and perhaps even unwise.

Today this diner fits right into the burgeoning scene of this ’hood, serving up classics such as meatloaf and mac and cheese. Though more modern than retro, they assembled a strong design team, and I like their look, a lot. Their breakfast menu is pared, but has a few signature items such as Toast à la Aunt Sue and Smoked Salmon Panini. To me, the baked goods steal the show. Homemade oreo cookies, scones, butter tarts, chocolate torte, croissants, and have you heard? They have pie. We finished our breakfast with the Apple Crumble Pie. It arrived toasty warm, oozing with apples and wafting with cinnamon.

If nothing else, go for the pie. Wow.

51 West Hastings Street
Breakfast hours:
Monday to Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
www.acmecafe.ca
Photos

No comments: