Sunday, July 25, 2010

Plöger Delikatessen

A husband and wife team have moved their family deli enterprise from Frankfurt, Germany to little ol’ Kitsilano. Why? I’m not sure. But, yay for us. Even without having any distinct connection to my own partial-German heritage, there is something about the offerings that feels like pure comfort food to me.

The Quiche Lorraine, charged by the 100g, is the best quiche I’ve had in this city. They also have spinach or onion options. And I can never pass up a schnitzel, especially in sandwich form. This one comes with crusty bread, tangy mayo and a briny, tart pickle – a perfect combo. But more than anything, the baked goods cry out to me. Again, I have no childhood memories of any of their particular goods, yet they seem so familiar – Banana Cake, Lemon Coconut Cookies, and Raspberry Cream Cheese Danish – all fantastic.

Is tendency to particular baked goods in our genes? This place makes me believe.

1900 West 1st Avenue
Breakfast hours: 9:00 a.m. to
www.ploeger.de
Photos

No comments: