Sunday, October 17, 2010

Kirin Restaurant (Alberni St)

I am a little embarrassed to say that I have not been for Dim Sum since I was 10 years old. I finally corrected this grave error this morning. Gratefully I went with a friend who showed me the ropes and, at my request, she chose traditional items which were “not too weird” (my words). My slight apprehension (and ignorance) proved ridiculous as everything we ate was delicious.

At Kirin, Dim Sum is ordered from a menu rather than the traditional circulating carts. I can see pros and cons of each method. I rather enjoy having the time to read the menu and wrap my head around each dish, while others would delight more in the spontaneous picking and choosing. I am trying to think which dishes were the highlights, but honestly I enjoyed them equally. What surprised me was the combined complexity yet subtlety of flavours. If I did have to pick one that stood out, it was the Deep Fried Taro with Ground Pork. No, wait, it was the Sticky Rice wrapped in Lotus Leaf. Oh, right, it was the Scallop and Prawn Dumpling...

I cannot wait to Dim Sum again.

1172 Alberni Street
Dim Sum hours: Saturday/Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
www.kirinrestaurants.com
Photos

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Well, you definitely picked a great place to get back into it! Also try Sun Sui Wah on Main near 22nd.

In Search of Breakfast said...

Thanks, Victoria, I'll put Sun Sui Wah on my list!