Sunday, March 27, 2011

Café Régalade (CLOSED)

UPDATE (02/07/14): When walking by I noticed a sign on the door that claimed they would be closed for one day due to “circumstances beyond their control”. The note was dated 01/15/14 and they haven’t yet reopened. Not sure if this is permanent or temporary. Upon further research it looks like there have been challenges since change of staff, and they have been open and closed several times over the past months. I’ll post if they reopen, but it doesn’t look likely.
---------------------------
The pig decor was my first clue that I was going to love this place. I wish I could say I was letting you in on a little secret by telling you about this only one-week-old spot, however, given the lineups this morning the word is already out! Born as a sister to La Régalade in West Van (or some kind of relative, anyway), this family has the formula just right – French bistro flare with Kitsilano casual style. I especially want to acknowledge our hostess – she was fabulously charming.

Our meals reminded me that there is good reason why chefs often refer to themselves as “French-trained”. What is it that makes French food so special – passion? ingredients? technique? Whatever it is, it sent me to my “happy place”. My Paris Breakfast consisted of cast iron pan-roasted tomatoes with ham and garlic, coated in gooey Swiss cheese topped with perfectly cooked sunny up eggs, accompanied by amazing roasted potatoes, fresh baguette with butter, and a delicately dressed green salad. Shhh. Don’t talk. Just let me enjoy. My partner’s Lyon Breakfast was equally drool-worthy – as above but instead with bacon, mushrooms, spinach, pearl onions in a red wine sauce. We were cochon-ified.

I could wax poetic about Café Régalade, but I'll shorten it to a bold statement: this is my new favourite breakfast spot. J’adore!

2836 West 4th Avenue
Brunch hours: Saturday/Sunday: 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
www.caferegalade.ca
Photos

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So good. Can't wait to go back.

Anonymous said...

is it still your favorite breakfast spot?

In Search of Breakfast said...

Hi Anonymous,
It is still a favourite, yes.
Happy breakfasting.