Wednesday, May 18, 2011

He’eia Pier General Store (Kaneohe, HI)

The He’eia Pier General Store and Deli, located at the end of the He’eia Pier (I suppose that goes without saying), has re-opened to great acclaim. Having sat empty for 3 years, this truly out-the-way gem (though only 5 minutes from my friend’s house) was recently taken over by a group of high-end chefs and restauranteurs, the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. They plan to use the revamped deli as a vehicle for sourcing and serving up the best local grindz. This is as Hawaiian as it gets, super casual, where seating consists of a couple of outdoor picnic tables and benches overlooking the bay.

My friend and I had stopped by a few days previous and we were both impressed immensely with our lunch. My Ahi BLT and her Guava-glazed Chicken with Taro Mac Salad were fantastic. When they mentioned “open for breakfast”, you know we had to come back, and we did. Meaning we ate there twice before they had even had their actual grand opening. Because of this, they were still operating from a limited menu. Our breakfast plates were fried rice with 2 eggs and our choice of sausages, ham, or bacon. By now they will be running with their full menus.

This is one of those places I do not want to tell people about as I want it keep it a secret. However, it is out of the way enough, that only those serious about food will make the effort. See you there!

46-499 Kamehameha Hwy, Kaneohe, HI
Breakfast hours: 7:00 a.m. to 10:45 a.m., Daily
www.heeiapier.com
Photos

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clearly the pier is not 'out of the way' enough. I tried to go back for lunch with the bambina the other day (I do love that kalo mac salad, which is weird because mac salad is not a usual favourite of mine), anyway, it was PACKED. So much so that I decided to give it a miss that day. Maybe I can get the tour boat schedule ahead of time to avoid this problem in the future...
Managed to sneak back with hubby & another Vancouverite who was visitng. Had their burger this time - OMG it was good! Local grass fed beef. mmmm
Will keep you posted on new delights to be had. xo