Sunday, July 17, 2011

Honey Doughnuts and Goodies (Deep Cove)

“When you wake up in the morning, Pooh,” said Piglet, "What’s the first thing you say to yourself?"
"What’s for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"
"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully. "It’s the same thing," he said


When a friend of mine shared this passage with me from Winnie-the-Pooh, it became the inspiration for our breakfast adventure. To honour the Pooh stories, I wanted to go for a walk through the forest and go to Honey’s.

Honey’s doughnuts are famous and I find either you love them or you don’t. I fall into the “love them” camp. Yes, they’re dense and cakey and sweet and greasy... they’re awesome. There are three options – honey-dipped, maple-glazed or chocolate. To have the optimal Honey doughnut experience, be sure to eat one freshly made.

To maintain some sense of decorum, I started breakfast with an eggy thing, but really, I was there for the doughnuts. And besides fulfilling my once-every-three-year Honey’s doughnut fix, I needed fuel for our walk. I’ve been wanting to do the Quarry Rock hike for years now, it’s the last 2 km piece of the Baden-Powell Trail (which runs from Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove). An hour walk over rugged terrain, through glorious trees, past numerous waterfalls, on a slightly uphill grade is rewarded with an amazing view over Deep Cove and beyond to downtown Vancouver.

So, go, enjoy doughnuts, and see what exciting thing is going to happen today. Thanks, Pooh.

4373 Gallant Avenue, Deep Cove
Breakfast hours: 6:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Daily
Photos

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love that passage! Pooh knows what he's talking about. My friend brought one to me a couple weeks ago and did the same thing, picked up some donuts and went for a hike. Grease soaked through the crumbled bag, slightly smooshed and still AMAZING.

Tia said...

great idea - hike then donut!