Sunday, November 13, 2011

Brunch Mexicana at The Waldorf Hotel (CLOSED)

UPDATE (01/24/13): Alas, it is no longer.
---------------------------------------------------------------

There’s something exciting about sharing unique places with others who are new to Vancouver. It’s like getting to see something so familiar through new eyes again. My brother has been living here just less than a year, and when I invited him out for breakfast today, I wanted to see him, of course, as well as perhaps share an area of Vancouver he had yet to experience. Though I had never been to The Waldorf before, either.

The Waldorf Hotel has modernized itself recently into an internationally-inspired art, music, and food destination. And on the weekends they serve Desayuno! Brunch Mexicana. I have no standards to be able to attest to the authenticity of the food, as I realize there are some purists out there. However, for me, my metric for international cuisine is “does it taste yummy?” Brunch Mexicana: yes, it does!

All three dishes impressed: Huevos Rancheros, Chilaquiles with Eggs, and the Mexican Hotcakes with dulce de leche sauce. Frequently I am asked the question, “where are the best pancakes?”, and I usually have a difficult time in answering as I tend to crave savoury dishes more for breakfast. Today I couldn’t keep myself from going back again and again to the hotcakes. Unfortunately for my partner, it was his breakfast, not mine. Grin.

1489 East Hastings Street
Brunch hours: Saturday/Sunday, 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
www.waldorfhotel.com/desayuno
Photos

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

check out weekend breakfast at Commune. Seymour and Nelson. great omlette and scramble. best downtown imo

Anonymous said...

For your readers, the Mexican brunch has been suspended per the 'Dorf's website so best to call first. I'd love to try those chilaquiles...

grayelf

In Search of Breakfast said...

Thanks, grayelf! Wow, you are really on top of things.