Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Oakwood

I am reminded of the benefits of having an open mind. Upon entering The Oakwood, I was honestly surprised by what I saw – a packed house, a space filled with warmth, and pleasingly contemporary design. There have been many restaurants come and go in this location over the years and I believe this owner may have finally found the magic formula to transform the mojo.

We sat at the bar, which allowed for a clear view into the kitchen. I knew the food was going to be great by seeing the way the chefs approached their cooking. You can just tell when someone is serious about food. These guys are. Their concept is Canadian Bistro with a focus on locally-sourced and made-from-scratch. They nailed my criteria for food success – obvious passion, clear concept, delicious flavour, exacting execution, and playful presentation. The Blueberry-Mascarpone Filled French Toast was cooked to buttery, crispy perfection. And the Braised Short Rib with Potato Pancake and Marinated Tomato was succulent and boldly flavoured.

I believe if this owner embraces what he is already doing so well – hiring great staff, offering a welcoming environment, and serving great food – he’s here to stay.

2741 West 4th Avenue
Brunch hours: Saturday/Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
www.theoakwood.ca
Photos

No comments: