Saturday, May 19, 2012

Diner No 1 (Steveston)

My niece moved to Vancouver recently and I wanted to share with her a part of the city that she hadn’t seen yet. I thought Steveston would be fun as it’s adorable and there are great little shops and scenic spots to explore. Unbeknownst to me, my choice was significant as Steveston is the filming location for her “favourite” TV series, Once Upon a Time – and she was excited to see if the town was recognizable from the show.

While breakfast was just the excuse for us to get together, it still proved to be a good reason as we both fancied Diner No 1. It’s a cute spot with contemporary retro decor and a similar menu. My niece chose The Classic with a fruit cup instead of hash browns (note the $1.29 substitution fee), while I had The Lumberjack – an enormous, fluffy pancake packed with crisp pieces of bacon and topped with eggs. We left feeling stuffed and satisfied.

On our walkabout after breakfast, indeed we did discover remnants of Storybrooke, Maine. Fans of the show will be familiar with locales such as Mr. Gold’s Pawn Shop, Granny’s Diner, and Storybrooke Country Bread.

12551 No 1 Road, Steveston
Breakfast hours:
Weekdays: 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Weekends: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
www.dinerone.com
Photos

No comments: