Saturday, May 5, 2012

Perch

UPDATE (11/16/12): They have moved to a new location: 337 East Hastings and I’m not sure if they’re still serving their breakfast menu.
---------------------------------
Today my friend who is temporarily living in the ’burbs was meeting me “in town”, so I thought I would meet her en route. I also thought she might appreciate what I anticipated would be the vibe of Perch. She described it as a “place for night owls”, which was semi-confirmed by the fact that we were the only ones in the place until just before noon. It’s a tiny space that’s eclectic, casual, arty, it just feels like a place where people would like to hang out at night, enjoy music and a bevvy or two. Ironically, given that it is located in a live/work studio building, they cannot be open past 11:00 p.m. Good thing I’m a breakfast owl.

Truly this place has a sense of humour – the menu focuses on vegan/vegetarian and pork. My friend went veggie and ordered a Cheddar, Olive, Spinach Omelette. I went pork and chose the Bacon ’n Cheddar Baked Eggs, consisting of layers of baked beans, bacon, eggs, and cheddar. Think amped up “beans on toast”. You might hear a nutritionist or doctor say this is not a “heart healthy” selection. I disagree. Any breakfast that fills my heart with love is healthy in my books.

1701 Powell Street
Breakfast hours: Saturday/Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
www.eatdrinkperch.com
Photos

No comments: