Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Scandilicious

Even though the hundredth monkey effect has been “discredited” by scientists, I think a study of local eateries proves otherwise. Why is it that so many of the same type of fooderie pop up at the same general time? Recently, Vancouver has had its taco phenomenon, a fired-oven pizza phase, and now waffles. Five new spots have opened in the last several months, Scandilicious being one of them.

Putting sweet or savoury options atop freshly baked waffles has always been a good idea. I went sweet and savoury by ordering the Valhalla – a Brussels waffle with maple bacon jam, back bacon, bacon bits, and maple syrup. The housemade maple bacon jam was the kicker with subtle spicy heat making it the perfect breakfast dish. They also had some sweet spread options I was eager to try – such as peanut butter caramel or gingerbread spice – however I was already so satisfied, I decided to wait for another time.

I foresee a lot of waffles in my near future.

1340 Commercial Drive
Breakfast hours:
Monday to Saturday: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
www.scandilicious.com
Photos

3 comments:

Anna said...

I love your blog. :) This place sounds amazing! Do you think it's baby-friendly? I'd like to try it out with a couple of fellow new moms one weekday morning... would the seating area fit a few strollers? Thanks for the great recommendations!

In Search of Breakfast said...

Hi Anna, thanks for your comments! Yes, I do think this place is baby-friendly in terms of it being super casual. The seating area is quite small, only 3 tables. However, when we were there on a weekday morning, we were the only ones. If you were the only ones eating there, it would be fine with strollers. If there was others, might be a bit challenging in terms of space.
Happy breakfasting!

Anonymous said...

Hi, actually there is seating for 16 people, there are 6 tables and the bench can fit several people as well. So I have seen up to 20 sitting here eating. And yes there is a little space to park a couple of strollers.