Sunday, May 26, 2013

Relish (Victoria)

Even though it was early on a Saturday morning, I was surprised to arrive to a near empty restaurant as I was expecting a lineup out the door. And after our breakfast experience, I am super surprised. I’m not clear on the backstory of Relish, perhaps they only started serving brunch recently, thus people aren’t aware of it yet. Lucky us.

I couldn’t have been more impressed with the food. I love a creative menu, and even more, I love the perfect execution of that menu. I had difficulty choosing between the locally-sourced, culturally-diverse inspired options – congee, tagine, katsu. A friend had recommended the House Smoked Mackerel Benny, and I’m grateful I took her advice. My benny came on a beautifully crisped and seasoned rosti and topped with a fennel frond vinaigrette. The accompanying slow-roasted tomatoes and house salad were incredibly flavourful, as well. My Mom’s House Made Meats breakfast was, as she said, a “man’s breakfast”, the highlight being a sampling of the in-house made maple sausages, thick-cut bacon, and smoked pork. Served with roasted potatoes, toast, eggs, salad, and stewed onions and peppers, it was way more food than she could finish herself.

On top of the great food, it’s a great space and the staff are sweet. Highly recommended. Go before there’s a permanent lineup.

920 Pandora Avenue, Victoria
Brunch hours: Saturday only: 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
www.relishfoodcoffee.com
Photos

3 comments:

Tracy Prieto said...

Hi, I was reading your blog and I was wondering if you could recommend me a store that delivers Breakfast, cause I want to give a breakfast as a gift. I have been searching for it on the web but I have only found basket gifts and flowers.
Thanks for your time and congrats for your blog.

In Search of Breakfast said...

Hi Tracy, thanks for stopping by and asking your question. It's a great question! Unfortunately, I am not aware of anyone who delivers breakfast. It's a great business idea that someone could use. I wish I could be more help. if I come across anything I'll let you know.
Happy breakfasting.

Tracy Prieto said...

Thanks for your answer, I'll look for another option.
Have a nice and interesting breakfast!