Sunday, December 8, 2013

Catch 122

Over the past couple of months, I have been completely remiss in my breakfast adventures. My delinquency was not from lack of desire, it was due to lack of priority. My schedule recently changed so that I am temporarily working weekend mornings, and my business takes precedence over breakfast – happily (I’m one of those oddballs who loves their work).

But two months was my limit, I needed a breakfast outing so I invited friends to join me for a late meal. It was a bit challenging to source a restaurant serving brunch after 2:30 p.m. Hooray for Catch 122! When I arrived, I thought it would be fairly empty due to the time, but apparently we were not the only ones who wanted to enjoy an afternoon feast. My friends opted for lunch selections, but I was happy with the brunch menu. I was debating between the Short Rib Eggs Benedict and the Pumpkin Bread French Toast, until one of my companions piped up voicing her desire to try the french toast. I suggested we all share it for breakfast dessert, that way I got to have both of my choices, and they concurred. Good friends.

After my steaming mulled apple cider arrived, I had a moment to sit back and take in the scene. Catch 122 has great ambience, a juxtaposition of historical industrial with modern comfort. The energy was lively, but not loud. The service was on top of everything, I felt well taken care of. Overall, a pleasing experience – interesting menu, good vibe, good hours, and the icing on the cake was the incredible pumpkin french toast stuffed with apple chutney and topped with vanilla sour cream cheese. Actually, it would have been better if we had each ordered our own dessert. Go on, breakfast dessert is perfectly reasonable, especially if your belated repast ends up being breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

122 West Hastings Street
Breakfast hours: Weekdays, 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Brunch hours: Weekends and holidays, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
www.catch122.ca
Photos

No comments: