Saturday, January 18, 2014

Heirloom Vegetarian Restaurant

Last week I was at a vegan restaurant; this week, vegetarian. No, this is not part of some New Year resolution to eat more veggies – it just worked out this way. Today, I was meeting up with a friend who I hadn’t seen for a while, so I knew we’d be in for a chatfest. I wanted a place that would be comfy, where we wouldn’t feel rushed, and because she is vegetarian, I hoped Heirloom would be ideal. Even though we arrived at 2:00 p.m., it was still mad full with a wait list.

Finally settled into our table 15 minutes later, I had an opportunity to appreciate the atmosphere. They’ve completely transformed the space from its previous incarnation. I smiled inwardly, though, when I saw they had left a nod to its previous life as a Mexican restaurant on the front door – a small painted sign waving, “Bienvenidos!” It felt respectful. Pictures don’t do justice to its ambiance now. It is a light (tall South-facing windows, everything painted white), airy (super-high ceilings), and attractive (modern rustic - again!) room. They’ve achieved the tricky blend of creating a space that feels inclusive – I felt a part of a happening – yet still intimate and personal. I believe this accomplishment is what contributes to the big draw of customers. That and that there are relatively few, albeit a growing number, of vegetarian-focused dining establishments.

The menu contains several different veggie combinations in benny and omelette forms. There was a bit of a wait for our meal, but we were so busy talking we didn’t even notice until our server apologized for the delay. When it appeared, I did enjoy my Red Pepper and Swiss Chard Benny, and my friend her Mushroom and Leek Benny. Side note: the potatoes are “extra”. I say, just throw them in already! Who doesn’t want fried potatoes? After the food was long gone, we continued to gab. Eventually the sun passed by and the room started to darken. Realizing they were prepping for dinner service, we decided it was time to go.

1509 West 12th Avenue
Brunch hours: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Daily

heirloomrestaurant.ca
Photos

No comments: