Sunday, March 16, 2014

Ask for Luigi

When planning my brunch experiences, part of the fun for me is to choose a destination that matches my friends. So when I made plans to meet my stylish-designer, crazy-foodie friend, I had high hopes for Ask for Luigi in terms of offering charming decor and quality of food. It was a good choice.

We went all out. I think it was the highest bill I’ve ever incurred for breakfast, and not at all because of the prices, but because we approached brunch like a full-on, three-course Italian meal.

For starters, we ordered two appetizers: the Bocconcini Fritti and Luigi’s Meatballs. Two sets of ball love. The first dish was bite-sized globes of deep-fried, breaded mozzarella served with basil pesto, and the second, luscious meatballs studded with raisins and pine nuts bathed in a tomato sauce. Both dishes worth the trip alone. For our mains, mia amica chose the Pork Belly with Green Salsa, Fried Egg, and Creamy Polenta, and I had the Ricotta Stuffed Eggplant with Poached Eggs and Tomato Sauce. My only regret was that my dish, while absolutely delicious, was the same flavour profile as the meatballs. I felt as though I missed an opportunity to taste something different. The solution was obvious, we had to order dessert. The moist, dense Olive Oil Cake flavoured with sweet orange completely appeased my palate.

From start to finish, it was a truly enjoyable experience and we left high on an espresso buzz.

305 Alexander Street
Brunch hours: Saturday/Sunday: 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
www.askforluigi.com
Photos

No comments: