Sunday, June 8, 2014

Mamie Taylor’s

This is the second time I’ve been treated to a special occasion meal at Mamie Taylor’s. The first was a birthday dinner; this time a thank you brunch. I was as thrilled this time as the last. Mamie Taylor’s cooks up my favourite bill of fare – modern twists on comfort food classics, more specifically, riffs on American Southern dishes.

While I’ve heard of the Kentucky Hot Brown sandwich before, this is the first time I’ve ever seen it on a Vancouver restaurant menu, and also the first time I’ve ever consumed one. The sandwich consists of several decadent layers of turkey confit, mornay sauce, fresh ripe tomatoes, onion jam (Mamie’s unique addition), and crispy bacon. Instead of traditional white toast, this mess of deliciousness was set atop their “freedom” toast. My treating friend relished the Chicken Fried Steak with charred green tomatoes. Another winner.

There were also some serious contenders for dessert, but we were already across the finish line. I’ll have to wait until someone else wants to take me here for a celebratory meal. Who’s buying?

212 East Georgia Street
Brunch hours:
Saturday/Sunday: 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
www.mamietaylors.ca
Photos

No comments: